Did you know that garlic is one of the earliest documented plants to be used by humans for treating diseases and maintenance of health? There are plenty of medical texts from Ancient Greece, Egypt and China discussing its medical applications, and ther e are even Biblical references to garlic.
It sounds so fascinating that so many cultures that probably never came into contact with one another can have the same conclusions about the role of garlic in the treatment of diseases, but it is true. Even today, garlic is considered to be the perfect cure for many conditions.
However, although it is frequently used in culinary endeavors, garlic has a base of non-fans that refuse to eat it, despite its healthy properties, because it leaves a rather unpleasant odor and has a very distinct taste that is not everyone's cup of tea. However, those people shouldn't be denied all the good things garlic can bring to them so that the obvious solution can be found in garlic supplements. There are various similar products on the market, but if you want to find the best garlic supplement, there are a few things you ought to know.
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 05:54 PST - Details
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What Are Garlic Supplements?
How you can supplement such an important food as garlic, you might ask. Well, these supplements rely mostly on garlic's most potent ingredient – allin, which is responsible for the aroma of garlic, but also for most of the plant’s health properties.
If there is one flaw to this compound that is that it is very unstable, meaning that it loses a bunch of its properties when isolated from garlic. This is a problem that supplement manufacturers are aware of, and they try to avoid it by aging the garlic. Unfortunately, aging garlic loses its aroma and alliin with it, so it becomes basically useless.
This is good for you because you can recognize the no-fake garlic supplements instantly – they actually smell like garlic. Manufacturers who see high allin content as imperative have the practice of crushing a fresh clove to provide more alliin as opposed to trying to age it.
Garlic supplements usually come in the form of a capsule. Sometimes the capsules have an enteric coating to reduce stomach acid breakdown.
How Do Garlic Supplements Work?
Relying on the power of alliin and allicin, garlic supplements bring you a part of the benefits you get when eating fresh garlic.
After entering the body via capsule, allicin turns into a type of fat and water soluble sulfur-containing compounds. Following this, these compounds get into the hydrogensulfide signaling system, which relaxes the blood vessels and leads to a variety of health benefits.
Why Take Garlic Supplements?
Throughout history, garlic has been used to treat many different medical conditions. It is best known for its uses to treat heart and blood disorders, including high and low blood pressure, low blood flow caused by hardened arteries, high cholesterol, coronary heart disease, and heart attack. Furthermore, people have been using garlic to prevent many different types of cancer and to treat other diseases and conditions.
If for some reason, you are not using garlic in your diet, you should at least try to compensate its absence with garlic supplements, especially to prevent and treat some of the following conditions:
- Hay fever
- Stomach aches
- Yeast infections
- Enlarged prostate
- Cystic fibrosis
Types of Garlic Supplements
Garlic supplements come in various forms. The most common are pills and capsules.
There is also garlic oil which is produced by steam-distilling crushed raw garlic. It is then diluted about 200 times with vegetable oils to reduce the overpowering odor of garlic. This oil contains just a fraction of the original oil-soluble sulfides. It also doesn't include water-soluble sulfur compounds. Because of high-heat distillation, garlic oil loses non -volatile nutrients.
Garlic supplements also come in the form of a powder that is made from chopped cloves that were previously oven-dried then pulverized. The allicin potential of a garlic powder tablet depends on the alliinase activity. If the garlic was dried at a high temperature during preparation—above 158 F (70 C)—the enzyme is inactive, while the remaining molecular alliin in the unchopped part of the clove is unconverted. To avoid the inactivation in the stomach, capsules should be coated with cellulose, so they are de-coated only by intestinal enzymes.
Aged garlic extract is made by extracting and then aging the garlic in diluted alcohol without heating it for about 20 months. The aging process, which frees the garlic of odor, retains the nutrients and converts the unstable allicin to beneficial stable compounds. Since garlic chemistry is complex, there are some other compounds produced by the aging process.
What Should I Look for in Garlic Supplement?
Since there are so many different garlic supplements on the market, it is important to realize what makes one product better than the other and how to get the best health benefits.
The first thing you should pay attention to is the level of allicin. Since the very product doesn’t exactly contain allicin, search for terms like allicin potential or allicin yield. They should suggest the amount of allicin produced during the allinase activation in the tablet, capsule or powder.
Allicin powder extracts just might be your best choice, since they are the only products that deliver a standardized amount of stable allicin that can be used directly by the body. These products might be the future of garlic supplements because they truly provide with true therapeutic effects.
How to Select and Purchase Top Quality Garlic Supplements
Garlic supplements can be found almost anywhere from a drugstore to the web. That’s why it is important to be sure you are purchasing only top quality products that will guarantee you the wellness advantages of garlic consumption. Here are some tips on how to make the right call:
- Avoid heat-treated products, and opt for the ones that were freeze-dried or quick-cool dried.
- If you are delicate to garlic, you should choose layered pills that will shield your stomach from the acidic attributes of the garlic.
- Pick supplements with a constant quantity of allicin – each batch of supplement contains the same amount.
- Matured garlic draw out is abundant in antioxidants, which means it is a good choice too.
- Ensure the supplement can be soaked up into the blood system.
How to Take Garlic Supplements?
There are plenty of variables that can determine how the garlic supplements should be consumed, but they are most often taken orally. Different conditions willrequire different doses and depending on the supplement and the way that the active ingredient is delivered, the amounts will vary for each supplement bottle.
Garlic is rarely taken on a daily basis for an indefinite period. In fact, it is usually taken for a specificperiod of time, for instance, no longer than a year when taken for some types of cancer.
You can also use garlic supplement as a cream or gel that is applied directly to the skin and to treat fungal infections. It is imperative to remember that garlic can be toxic when taken in large amounts so make sure you read and follow the instructions on the bottle carefully.
The most common recommendations write that the usual dosage should be between 600 and 1200 mg daily, divided into multiple doses. If you eat fresh garlic too, you should know that two cloves a day are perfectly sufficient.
How We Found the Best Garlic Supplement?
We’ve analyzed five garlic supplements currently on the market to find out which one of them holds up the best when it comes to our criteria and make your quest that much easier. To determine the quality we paid attention to alliin or allicin, garlic, heavy metals, preservatives and other ingredients.
Samples of every supplement were tried and tested so that now we can present you with five top-rated garlic supplements on the market and share our thoughts with you.
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 05:54 PST - Details
1. Nature’s Bounty Garlic – A Fish Stinks from the Head Down
- Supports Circulatory Function*
- Cold Processed to Reduce Odor
- Gluten Free
- No Preservatives
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 04:34 PST - Details
This package contains 100 pills (1000mg per capsule). Its most distinct feature is the preparation method which includes cold-processing that, while removing the odors, doesn’t destroy the useful garlic compounds.
The manufacturers advertise it as packed with antioxidants and efficient in rejuvenating and supporting cardiovascular health. The product is free of artificial compounds such as artificial color, flavor or sweetener and preservatives, and it also doesn’t contain starch, milk, lactose, gluten, wheat, yeast, fish, and sodium.
The gel pills are very easy to swallow even without water. Although there is some odor when you smell the pack, the very pills are quite odorless. However, there is a strange present smell of fish instead. Also, the pills are prone to melting together.
- Easy to swallow
- No artificial compounds
- A “fishy” smell
- The pills can melt together and become useless at slightly higher temperature
2. Solaray Organic Garlic Supplement – Strong Pill, Strong Taste
- Heart Healthy Herb: Used for millennia, garlic may help support healthy cardiovascular function
- Strong Wellness Support: Garlic may also help support healthy circulation and immune system function
- Organically Grown: Organic farming protects consumers' and farm workers' personal health
- Trusted Brand: Manufactured state-of-the-art facility; Non-GMO & Vegan
- Committed to Quality: Lab verified using the strictest standard to ensure purity, identity & potency
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 11:13 PST - Details
The first that catches the eye here is the term "organic". The garlic used in the production of this supplement is organically grown so we can say that it protects you as a consumer, the soil and the farmer who grows it. Also, it is specially processed so that it retains most of the compounds of raw garlic.
One pill (600mg) is packed with garlic and contains no unnatural fillers. Although it gives up a light odor, it doesn’t produce garlic breath. The capsule is also easy to swallow.
However, some people will not feel great about the strong garlic taste, and especially kids who are not very fond of its strong aroma.
- Organic product
- Doesn’t contain artificial additions
- It is easy to swallow
- Most people won’t find the strong taste of garlic very pleasant
3. Pure Encapsulations - GarliActive – Not for Sensitive Stomach
- IMMUNE SUPPORT: Garlic has demonstrated the ability to promote and maintain a healthy gut ecology while supporting healthy immune system function.*
- CARDIOVASCULAR SUPPORT: Positive effects of garlic on the cardiovascular system include healthy blood flow and platelet function, healthy lipid and triglyceride metabolism, reduced oxidative stress, and healthy arterial function.*
- NO ODOR: Made with gently dehydrated garlic to preserve key compounds while eliminating characteristic garlic odor without the use of enteric coating or undesirable excipients.
- PURE INGREDIENTS: Pure Encapsulations manufactures a line of hypoallergenic, research-based dietary supplements. Products are meticulously formulated using pure ingredients designed to deliver predictable results for the benefit of all patients, even the most sensitive.*
- FREE FROM: Pure Encapsulations products are free from wheat, gluten, egg, peanuts, magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary excipients. Any product containing ingredients derived from allergens, such as soy, dairy or shellfish is clearly labeled. *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 04:34 PST - Details
This pack contains 120 pills (600mg each) that contain garlic, calcium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide, gum acacia, potassium hydroxide and water. The best thing about it is that it is a hypo-allergenic product and you can use it even if you are allergic to peanuts, gluten, egg or wheat.
Like the previous supplements, it also doesn't contain artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners. The pills are free of GMOs, hydrogenated oils, trans-fats, and allergens. It is recommended to drink one pill a day to get the necessary daily amount of garlic.
Although they’re very affordable Pure Encapsulations are not without its flaws, they can be somewhat hard on the stomach, and they tend to leave a bad aftertaste.
- The pills are hypoallergenic
- They’re completely natural
- Made with dehydrated garlic with no heating, so the ingr edients are preserved
- Calcium, magnesium, and potassium raise the pH of stomach
- They can be heavy on the stomach
- They leave a bad aftertaste
4. Eclectic Institute - Garlic – Just Right
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 10:24 PST - Details
The Eclectic Institute’s garlic supplement pack contains 120 gel capsules (550mg) each of which includes 0.7-1.1 percent allicin. They contain whole garlic cloves grown and harvested in the U.S.
These vegan capsules are a potent product with no fillers. They’re also soy free, grain free and dairy free. These supplements are very potent and you can smell the garlic as soon as you pop the cap, but it doesn’t affect the breath.
- Very potent product
- Although you can smell the garlic it doesn’t leave unpleasant breath
- It contains whole garlic cloves
- We forgot to buy more of these
5. Solgar Garlic Powder – Only for Strong Stomach
- Health and Beauty
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 05:54 PST - Details
Solgar Garlic has a certified Allicin content, and itis produced from garlic that is grownwithout the use of toxic pesticides and fertilizers .
The 500 mg vegetable capsules detoxify the body and protect it against infection by enhancing the immune system. They also lower the blood pressure and improve circulation. They are useful to use during treatment of asthma, arteriosclerosis, arthritis, colds and flu, circulatory problems, insomnia, digestive problems , sinusitis, ulcers and yeast infections.
Since the Allicin yield is 750mcg, it is recommended to drink one to three of these capsules per day.
If there is one flaw that we would have to point out for this product, that is that, sometimes, (depending on the sensitivity of your digestive system) can cause indigestion.
- A quality organic product
- Great for detox
- No artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, or preservatives
- No odor
- It can cause indigestion
- It can leave a present aftertaste for hours
The Bottom Line & Our Recommendation
The garlic supplements market is very diverse, and there are hundreds of products meeting one or all of the criteria for quality garlic supplements. Our little battle of the supplements was fair and quite even, but since we have to choose a winner, that can be no other than Eclectic Institute – Garlic supplement. As you might have noticed, we couldn't find a single drawback of this highly potent product. It is good for your health, good for your stomach (doesn't cause indiges tion) and doesn’t leave a strong garlic aftertaste after consumption.