Most body builders and fitness experts will tell you that L-Carnitine based supplementation is perhaps the most popular and widely used method to get rid of the stubborn fat that simply refuses to go and helps people achieve their fitness goals. L-Carnitine is an amino acid which is produced naturally in the body. The amalgamation of amino acids Lysine and Methionine produces L-Carnitine which is best known for its protein building properties in the body.
L-Carnitine supplements are best known for achieving body building goals through accelerating fat loss and improving the muscle mass and bone mass in the body. They are useful in accelerating recovery post intense exercising and reduce muscular damage to the minimum. These supplements are quite useful in treating a few other symptoms like heart conditions, kidney disorders, and L-Carnitine deficiency caused by genetic disorders. It also helps in regulating high thyroid levels in the body.
There is a great influx of L-Carnitine supplements in the body building market and the focus of this article is to review the 5 best products/ brands in this category. We also will share some guidelines and caution on the consumption of such body building, fat burning supplements.
Last update on 2019-03-21 at 05:53 PST - Details
Top 5 L-Carnitine Supplements in a Glance
Buying Guide for L-Carnitine Supplements
There are a lot of L-Carnitine supplement brands in the fitness market currently. It is best to consume such powerful supplements after proper medical advice and guidance by medical/health professionals and fitness experts.
As a word of general caution, these are dietary supplements and should not be consumed for treating any disease, infections or health issues. Though the best products reviewed here are relatively safe and allergen-free, it is best to discontinue use and consult an expert before re-commencing the consumption of L-Carnitine supplements.
The health and fitness industry have long harped on the benefits of L-Carnitine amino acids in the body. Any fitness enthusiast now knows for a fact that Carnitine is one of those amino acids that improve fitness and muscular recovery.
It is one of those originals which helps in stacking and improves muscle mass, bone mass, and tones the muscles. It is useful in burning fat too. So, as the popularity of these supplements keeps growing among muscle-growing body builders and fitness fanatics, let us look at the benefits and side-effects of the L-Carnitine supplements to help you choose a product that is best suited and completely safe for your requirements.
The Advantages of L-Carnitine Supplements
- These supplements are very good for those training in resistance exercises. The L-Carnitine supplements work well in improving recovery post the rigorous contraction exercises. They reduce the soreness of the muscles post workout and improve the blood flow to the muscle tissues which experience oxygen deprivation after intense resistance exercises.
- These supplements seem to have a positive effect on weight loss. Because they are useful in converting fatty acids stored in the body into cellular energy and rejuvenation. This aspect makes L-Carnitine supplements a natural choice for dieters looking at the fat burn. Recent studies have shown that consumption of these supplements does reduce the BMI.
- These are preferred supplements in the list of any body-building enthusiast because they improve the exercise performance and energy levels. L-Carnitine supplements are often consumed to help body builders exercise longer and harder, to achieve their goals quickly and steadily. Some of these supplements work in reducing the storage of lactic acid in the body, which is known to cause fatigue. Thus by reducing the lactic acid store and increasing the blood flow in the muscle tissues these supplements improve the energy and exercise capacity of body builders.
- If you are looking to getting lean, toned and strong muscles L-Carnitine is a supplement is worth having in your kitty. Because it is known for protecting and toning the muscles.
Apart from fat loss, increased energy levels, muscle protection, reduced fatigue post-exercise and weight control, there are other benefits of L-Carnitine. Let us look at them in brief:
- L-Carnitine is known for its positive effects in treating heart conditions and helps people with heart conditions to exercise without discomfort. But, these supplements must be strictly taken under medical supervision and guidance.
- The human kidneys are known to produce Carnitine naturally. Sometimes, a few people may experience some deficiency in the production of natural Carnitine in the body. For such people, the L-Carnitine pure supplements may prove to be useful.
- This is an amino acid and an antioxidant. Antidoxits are known to reduce allergies and increase stamina levels. So, these supplements could be useful in improving cell health by keeping the free radicals at bay.
- It is useful for causing relief from the side effects of valproic acid.
- It may be useful in treating male infertility and higher thyroid levels.
The benefits mentioned above are subjective and the products discussed above are strictly dietary supplements which are best consumed after due consultation with a professional health and nutritional expert.
There are some side effects to L-Carnitine supplementation as well. Possible side-effects are
- The supplements may cause gastritis, diarrhea in a few people.
- They are not good for people who have lower thyroid levels. If you are planning to consume these supplements regularly, it is important to check your thyroid levels and that is why we suggest medical consultation before the commencement of any bodybuilding supplements.
- Children and pregnant ladies, people with heart conditions, kidney ailments must take these supplements only under strict medical supervision.
- In a few people, these supplements may trigger allergy and seizures.
- If you are already taking other supplements ensure that the addition of L-carnitine is only going to benefit you. Because, L-Carnitine in combination with a few other pharmaceutical preparations like Sintrom, Warfarin can trigger side effects like slowing down blood clotting and trigger the chances of increased bleeding when faced with injuries.
Now that we have seen the benefits and side effects of L-carnitine supplementation on the body, it is also essential to know what to look for in a supplement.
- Understand what is L-Carnitine and what it does to the body. If you are looking at the most popular brands, go through the ingredients carefully and see if any known allergens are there. You could always seek professional advice before you begin consuming them regularly.
- Do not take more than your prescribed dosage.
- Record your performance before commencing the supplementation and after the prescribed dosage and number of days are over, assess your performance to see if the supplements have had a positive effect in your workout and taken you closer to your fitness goals.
- Check carefully for side effects and discontinue use if they persist.
- It is important to follow the directions for use carefully to get the desired results. It is important that you know when, how and how much to consume for every dosage.
There is no doubt on the positive effects of L-Carnitine supplements in helping to achieve a great physique. However, much of it depends on whether the supplement is consumed correctly and helping you build greater endurance and improving your training standards.
There is nothing to worry about having a regular dosage of L-Carnitine with L-Tartrate as long as you are consuming it with a beneficial combination of diet and workout and being careful about the dosage and side-effects is the real question. It is a great supplement for improving overall fitness too.