If you ever thought all bacteria are harmful, it’s time to rethink again. Since the 90‘s probiotics have been popular in health trends category because research proved that the human body is made up of both good bacteria and bad bacteria. Good bacteria help to keep a healthy gut and probiotics have been used successfully in the treatment of several health conditions like
- Weight loss and weight gain
- Irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea
- Allergies and cold
- Infections in the urinary tract and vagina.
- Skin allergies
- Oral health and hygiene issues.
Probiotic Brands Used for Weight Loss
Probiotic foods and supplements don’t normally come under the purview of drugs and medications. They have been used to help with weight loss or weight gain depending on the strains of bacteria used. Therefore, the choice of a reliable and trusted brand is necessary if you are looking at the treatment of specific health conditions. It is important to know that the strain of bacteria used is safe and produces the desired results.
Bacteria in the gut is influential in determining body weight. The positive effects of having good microorganisms in the gut help fight obesity tendencies in our body by lowering the number of calories one absorbs from food, reduce inflammation and fat storage, maintains a healthy appetite, and thus effectively control the tendency to put on weight. They reduce the percentage of fats stored in the body and thus reduce obesity.
Probiotic supplements and foods not only help in losing weight but also prevent weight gain. Certain strains of probiotic bacteria have been shown to prevent weight gain despite high-calorie intake. The detrimental effects of imbalance in the microflora in the body are known to cause a bloating and fat gain, which can be controlled with the regular use of probiotics.
Last update on 2019-02-21 at 10:24 PST - Details
5 of the Best Probiotics for Weight Loss
Buyer’s Guide to Probiotic Supplements that support weight loss
Since probiotics have proven effects on improving general health and help in reducing specific health issues like bloating from gas, obesity, allergies, cold and chronic fatigue, there have been many brands which have promoted their products relentlessly.
The good bacteria microorganisms in the body tend to keep troublesome yeast and bacteria in control and balance the pH in the gut/ colon, keeping it healthy. The everyday diet can cause a change in the composition of bacteria in the gut. Which is why it is essential to supplement the diet with probiotics to keep your digestive health intact along with developing immunity to counter the side effects of climate, stress and unhealthy food habits.
There are many probiotic products, that it is often confusing and challenging to choose the most suitable for oneself. These may be supplements, but it is best advised to seek medical advice or recommendation of a qualified nutritionist/ dietician before regular consumption of any health supplements.
When choosing a Probiotic supplement for weight loss it is essential to know what to look for in the product
- It is important to know the probiotic strains that go into the making of a supplement. Not all strains have the same effect and some can cause weight gain too. If you are looking at weight/ fat loss from probiotic supplements it is essential to take them under prescription. Some reduce the fat stored in the body, while some cause less fat to be absorbed by the body, thus working in both ways. Some are taken to help in weight maintenance after a weight-loss program.
- The general probiotic strains used are extracted from the Lactobacillus family which is known to reduce belly fat by increasing the population of good bacteria in the gut.
- It is known to accelerate relief to chronic problems like bloating from gas, and acid refluxes in the stomach thus improving digestion and metabolism by and large.
- Probiotic supplements are known to work very well on men and women, children, and teens as well. But the probiotics strains used in the supplements targeting a particular category of people must be taken into account.
- The potency and quality of the supplement, the manufacturing process and whether it is derived naturally or is it chemical based are some of the factors that have to be taken into account.
- What are CFUs? This is often seen on the labels of prominent probiotic supplementary brands. It means the certification that the units of probiotic nutrients as quoted in the labels are alive after processing and during the entire shelf life stated. This is a very important requirement that needs to be fulfilled without which the supplements may produce negligible to nil results.
- What is Prebiotics? These help in the growth of probiotics in the body once they reach the targeted location, the stomach, gut etc., Some popular prebiotics are inulin (FOS), potato starch, Mannan-OligoSaccharide and Isomalto-OligoSaccharide (MOS) & (IOS).
- Labeling: It is essential to have a thorough product information before regular consumption of the supplement. For this, proper labeling of all the ingredients and probiotic strains used with their potency must be mentioned. This increases the credibility of the product.
- Natural Probiotic Supplements and Food-Based Probiotics: Many people contend that food-based probiotics like yogurt, fermented vegetables, and foods, kefirs are sufficient to supply the required probiotic health to the body. However, the natural supplements are superior in giving the body the needed good microorganisms and accelerate the process of weight loss, if that is your goal.
Probiotics are supplements that can aid weight loss, treat a few symptoms and improve overall health and not an alternative or substitute for a healthy lifestyle with a balanced diet and good exercise regime. It is best to consume them after proper medical advice.