How To Lighten Knees Fast, Naturally And Forever
Do you love to wear short dresses but hate the look of your dark knees?Why should you stay away from that lovely pair of shorts just because the skin on your knees doesn’t match with the rest of your beautiful legs? An even skin tone isthe key to great looking legs. But sadly no amount of scrubbing with your favorite body wash or soap is going to get that dark skin off your knees.
I’m not trying to tell you that you should buy some expensive lightening creams or scrubs or even visit a beauty salon. Even though all of them might give you results, you can easily get light and smooth skin on your knees by using just easy-to-find ingredients from your kitchen pantry. Below we will show how to lighten knees using these simple ingredients.
Why do our knees become dark in the first place?
The main reason behind dark knees is a buildup of dead skin. Also, the skin on your knees is inherently thicker than the skin around it and tends to lose moisture rather quickly. The result is unsightly, rough and darker looking skin that stands out.
This buildup of dead cells could due to various reasons that are listed below.
- Dry skin due to insufficient moisturizing
- Sunlight and UV rays
- Friction or chafing or pressure on the knees
- Contact dermatitis due to clothing
- Hormone imbalances
- Skin pigmentation
But all hope is not lost as you can lighten your knees at home by following the easy methods below.
1. Potato – not just for fries
What if I tell you that you can forget dark knees by using just a potato? Sounds too good to be true? Well, it actually works and you have to try it to believe it. Potato is a natural bleaching agent which works on dark spots on your skin and the dark skin on your knees. It also nourishes your skin for a bright and healthy glow.
- Wash a potato with clean water
- Cut it into thick slices
- Use a slice to gently rub on your knees for about 5 minutes
- Leave it on for 15 minutes for the bleaching effect to work
- Finally, rinse and pat dry
Note – For quick results and stubborn dark skin, repeat the procedure twice daily
2. Lemon – the magic yellow fruit
This is the simplest way to lighten dark knees. We all have lemons sitting in our kitchens most of the time. So after you have squeezed out the juice for a recipe, keep the lemons to do their magic on your knees.
- Cut a lemon into two halves and squeeze out a bit of juice and keep aside to use in your cooking
- Now take the lemon halves and rub them with the pulp side on your knees
- Continue doing this for at least 10 to 15 minutes
- Once done wipe the area with a clean cloth or towel
- DO NOT rinse with water
- Now moisturize the area with Vaseline or any moisturizing cream of your choice
You will instantly feel how smooth and soft your skin has become. But you will need to repeat this procedure every day at least for a couple of weeks to see visible lightening. Once you are happy, you can do it once every month to keep your knees looking light and smooth.
3. Olive oil – healthy on your skin too
Olive oil is a natural oil that is not only good for your health but is also known for its skin lightening properties. Simply massaging it on your knees just before bedtime can bring about visible changes. You can repeat the process up to three times a week.
4. Oatmeal – not just for smoothies
Oatmeal acts as a good bleaching agent and is an excellent exfoliator. Also, if you enjoy your breakfast smoothies, it shouldn’t be difficult to find them at home.
- Take 2 tbsp. of oatmeal and 2 tbsp. of fresh cream in a bowl
- Mix them completely to form a thick paste
- Apply this paste on your knees and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Then gently massage the paste for at least 10 minutes
- Rinse off with cold water
5. Sugar –more than the rush
A simple mixture of sugar and vitamin E oil can do wonders to lighten your dark knees. Sugar is a natural exfoliator and will remove the dead cells on the skin’s surface while the vitamin E oil will nourish the skin to keep it soft and supple. This procedure gives best results when done just before bed though you could do it at any time of the day.
- Take a spoon of sugar and a spoon of Vitamin E oil in a small cup
- Mix them well and let it sit for about 10 min
- When the sugar has completely dissolved, the mixture is ready for use
- Apply the mixture on your knees and gently massage for about 10 minutes
- Leave it on overnight and wash it off with lukewarm water in the morning
Variation – If you don’t want to use vitamin E oil, you can substitute it with the same amount of olive oil.
6. Almonds – scrub away
As Almonds are a rich source of vitamin E, you can use this method if you do not have vitamin E oil. Powdered almonds are used to nourish your skin, scrub dead cells away and lighten the skin.
- Pulse a handful of almonds in a blender or your coffee grinder
- Mix a tbsp. of the powdered almonds to a tablespoon of fresh cream
- Mix well to form a thick paste
- Apply the paste on your knees and gently scrub for about 5 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry
Variation –If you have almond oil, you can massage your knees with it for a skin lightening effect. Do this once in the morning and once before bed for quick results.
7. Coconut oil – not just for vegans
Being a natural oil, Coconut oil has skin moisturizing properties and hence is useful to prevent dryness of the skin. It also contains vitamin E, which is a skin-nourishing vitamin. It helps repair dry and damaged skin and helps lighten the skin tone.
- Take 1 tsp each of coconut oil and walnut powder in a small mixing bowl
- Mix them thoroughly into a thick paste
- Use this scrub in a circular motion on your knees for five minutes
- Finally, rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry
- For best results, repeat the process before going to bed
8. Pumice stone
If you want an easy and effective way to get rid of your dark knees, then using a pumice stone will be the right method for you. It is easily available and requires no preparation like the other methods. Simply keep one next to your bath scrubber and use it during your shower. It is very effective in removing dead cells and dark skin on your knees.
- Take a warm shower
- Use the pumice stone in a gentle circular motion on your knees
- Take care not to press too hard or be too quick
- Rinse the area with cool water
9. Chickpea flour and yogurt – creamy as it gets
This wonder mix has everything to make your dark knees a thing of the past.Chickpea flour is a rich source of minerals, proteins, and vitamins. It takes care of everything from pigmentation to blemishes to dark skin. Due to its texture, it also acts as a natural exfoliator. In this method, chickpea flour is used with yogurt to treat dark knees. Yogurt acts as a base for the chickpea and is also a wonderful moisturizer.
- In a bowl add 2 tbsp. of chickpea flour and 2 tbsp. of yogurt
- Mix the two ingredients well to form a thick paste
- Apply the paste on your knees and let it sit for 15 minutes
- Now massage the paste gently for 5 minutes
- Rinse with plain water and pat dry
Variation –You can also use gram flour for this method instead of chickpea flour
10. Turmeric – more than curry
This yellow spice not just adds a rich color to your curries, but will also give a wonderful glow to your skin. It has natural antiseptic properties that will keep your skin healthy and also removes impurities of the skin. It is mixed with milk and honey to remove the dark skin on your knees in a natural way.
- In a bowl add 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tbsp. of milk and 1 tsp of honey
- Mix everything together into a smooth paste
- Apply the paste onto your knees and massage well
- Leave it one for about 20 minutes
- Finally, rinse with water and pat dry
Note – This can be repeated twice a week for best results
11. Apple cider vinegar – not just for salad
The main component of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid which is a gentle bleaching agent and a great exfoliator. Due to this combined effect, the dead cells are removed and your skin is lightened for an even skin tone.
- In a bowl mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and plain water
- Dip a cotton bowl in the mixture and apply it on your knees
- Leave it on for at least 15 minutes
- Rinse with water and pat dry
Note – This can be repeated 3 to 4 times a week for best results
12. Aloe vera – the natural beauty gel
The gel inside the Aloe Vera leaf has so many skin-friendly properties that it is almost a natural beauty product by itself. It prevents drying of skin by moisturizing it and makes it look brighter. It also protects the skin from the harmful effects of UV rays.
- Slit an aloe vera leaf vertically and scoop out the pulp
- Apply the gel on your knees and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes
- Finally, rinse the gel off with lukewarm water and pat dry with a towel
- This can be done twice daily to get rid of dark knees
But my dark knees just won’t go away!
Sometimes the dark skin on your knees can be very stubborn and will need some extra care to remove them completely. Below we bring to you a four-step method that is extremely effective in removing very thick and dark skin from your knees.
- Skin lightening
We will see these steps in detail below.
The first step is to make the skin soft to remove the dry and dead cells. For this purpose, we will be using cucumbers. Cucumber does an excellent job of hydrating and softening the skin on your knees. This will first remove any impurities on the superficial layer of your skin.
But another reason why we use cucumber is because it has skin lightening properties as it acts as a natural bleaching agent. It is also rich in vitamins like Vitamin A and C which are important for good skin and also protect your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays.
- Clean your knees by gently wiping them with a damp cloth
- Cut a cucumber into slices
- Now use a slice of cucumber and gently rub in a circular motion over each of your knees
- Do this for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Leave this on for 5 more minutes
- Finally, rinse your knees with cold water and pat dry with a towel
Once the skin is soft and hydrated, we can start to exfoliate it with a gentle scrub. For this, we will use a milk and baking soda mix. Baking soda is a gentle exfoliator that removes the dead cells on your skin. Its scrubbing effect is also useful to remove the grime from your skin. The milk, on the other hand, will moisturize and also has cleansing properties.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of milk and 1 tsp of baking soda together in a bowl
- Mix well until it becomes a smooth paste
- Take a small of amount of this paste with your fingers and apply in on your knees
- Gently rub the paste in a circular motion
- Do this for a total of five minutes
- If you don’t want to use your fingers, use a toothbrush to apply and rub the paste over your skin
- Finally, rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry with a towel
Variation – If you do not have baking soda handy, you can also substitute it with a tsp. of sugar which also has an exfoliating effect.
3. Skin lightening
This is the most important step of the procedure which uses a natural whitening pack. This pack can be easily made at home with onions, lime juice, honey and chickpea flour. So how do these ingredients help in lightening your skin?
- Onion –The humble Onion is full of skin-nourishing antioxidants and will also remove impurities from the skin. It is also very effective in removing any pigmentation or dark spots on your skin.
- Lime juice –The citric acid in the Lime juice acts to naturally lighten your skin tone
- Honey – Honey is a natural bleaching agent too and will lighten your skin as it penetrates deep into the pores to moisturize your skin
- Chickpea flour – Chickpea flour has both skin lightening properties and exfoliating properties. Thus it removes dead cells and reveals your natural and fresh looking skin that is underneath.
Let us see how to use the whitening pack to lighten the dark skin on your knees.
- Prepare the whitening pack as follows
- Use half an onion in a blender to make a fine paste
- To 2 tbsps. of this onion paste add ½ tsp. of honey, 2 tsp. of fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp of chickpea flour
- Mix everything together to make a smooth paste
- Apply a generous amount of the pack on the dark areas of your knees
- Wrap your knees with a plastic sheet or cling film and let it sit for 30 minutes
- Finally, rinse using lukewarm water and pat dry
All the exfoliation and the rinsing can dry your skin if you do not take care to finish off with a moisturizing step. Use any moisturizer of your choice and apply it on to your knees to finish.
Repeat the procedure 3 times a week until you see visible lightening. After this,you can do a maintenance procedure of once or twice a month to prevent thereappearance of the dark skin.
How to prevent darkening of knees?
The about methods can be used when you already have dark knees. But did you know that you can prevent dark knees by following these simple tips below?
- Always use a sunscreen when you step out in short clothes to avoid damage caused by UV rays
- Apply moisturizer after you shower to reduce drying of the skin
- Use either a pumice stone or an exfoliator regularly to remove dead cells from your knees
- Rub olive oil on your knees at bedtime to lighten the skin naturally
- Apply a moisturizer on your knees before going to bed
Having dark knees doesn’t have to be embarrassing or stop you from flaunting those beautiful legs. Now that you know how to lighten knees naturally you will never go back to wearing long clothes just to hide them. Pick a method that is easy for you to do and say goodbye to dark knees forever.